Monday, August 27, 2007

back from Marquette


We went to Marquette this weekend because our daughter was starting back to school at NMU. What a beautiful place! We love to go there! We went to the top of Sugar Loaf, spectacular view. I took lots of pictures there, and lots of pictures of Lake Superior again. At some point I will definitely do a series from these photos. Possibly a triptych.
We also looked through some art galleries. My favorite thing I saw were relief pieces from found objects by Jeff Krino. I'm going to see if he has a website.
Since I'm thinking about changing my prices, I'm especially noticing pricing as I go to galleries and shows now. Some things were super cheap- but the quality wasn't great... there were watercolors at $1,200 for a fairly good sized painting. I thought they were possibly more inline with what I am doing. I got some good display and storage ideas too. One painter made a really practical rack out of pvc pipe, and used some insulating foam to cushion the edges of the frames. I'm going to go to the lumberyard to price those things. I'm also looking for the best way to tack canvas to wood rather than stretching the canvas like I've been doing. I really liked painting my last painting on wood- it was just a scrap piece my husband put together for me.
I'm looking forward to painting tonight with my friends!

1 comment:

baileydesigns said...

Mrs. Garnett- glad to here you like my husband's work. Jeff Krinos website is www.krinosnewjunk.com and let us know if you have any questions.