Thursday, May 10, 2007

first art fair meeting and first blog

I have never blogged before, so here it goes....
Today I went to the first meeting for the Ann Arbor Art fair teacher's booth!
The Ann Arbor Art Guild offered to help some teachers to show at the fair, so that we in turn could teach our students what it is like to be a professional artist. It was a terrific opportunity. The Guild members were providing the space, the tent, the display panels, and best of all- advice! Booths run about $700.00, and it is very difficult to get into this Art Fair. It is one of the most lucrative shows in the country.
About a month or so agoI sent in slides of my art work to the Guild to see if I could get juried into the show. I received a letter saying I was selected and to come to this meeting to find out more details. The initial meeting date was post-poned because President Clinton was going to be in Ann Arbor for the U of M graduation, and there would be too many problems with security and parking, so anyway, we met today.
There were 4 other teachers selected to share a booth. There is one glass artist, one clay, one graphite, and one other painter. It will be a 10x10 booth, so it will be tight. I think the other teachers will be fun to work with. I love their art work, and I'm proud to be displaying with them! I'm sure I will learn a lot. Right now I'm feeling like I have so much to do! I need an artist statement, business cards, labels, fliers... and I need more paintings. I need to have prints made, and I have to get a vender's liscense. I need to remember to bring a chair, and a table, and a money box, and stickers for the back of my paintings. I need curtain hooks to hang my pictures on, and more things that I've already forgotten- but I wrote it all down.
Tomorrow my goal will be to do one thing. Maybe I'll try to get the business card done, that seems like the easiest thing on the list:)

No comments: